Thursday, November 18, 2010

food heaven



Walking along 23rd Street in the Flatiron area of NYC you wouldn't know that you were so close to heaven. Food heaven that is. And I guess it's not food heaven for everyone. But it kind of was for me. Walking into Eataly I was immediately presented with beautiful delicious looking produce. I don't like eggplant but I wanted eggplant from there simply because it was so pretty. I picked up some carrots to roast later that evening and then kept on moving. With each turn I found something else that would make my mouth water. People were beginning to take their seats for lunch as I headed towards one of the two areas that I had my eye on.

Bread is such a simple pleasure for me. Whether it is consumed with cheese or olive oil or butter or jam, it is comforting and sometimes the only thing I need. There were samples of focaccia with olive oil and sea salt placed in baskets on the counter and one of the most helpful men behind the counter. I picked up a warm rustic loaf and hugged it close, moving to the next necessary stop in this wonderland...cheese (because if you get some bread you obviously need some cheese). I found the sign directing me to the specific kind I was searching for, Grana Padano. How happy was I, with bread and cheese and carrots in hand!? I walked out along the sweets aisle wishing I had both the time and the dairy pills to stop for some gelato, but alas, that would have to wait for another day.

I hope that if you, like me, love breads and cheese and pasta and fresh produce and tons of other things, that you get the opportunity to enjoy the splendors of Eataly.

buon appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment