Thursday, October 28, 2010

nothing like a good sandwich

A few years ago I did the Master Cleanse. I loved pretty much everything about it and on occasion I like to do it for a day or so, in modified fashion. One of the results of my initial Master Cleanse was giving up most meats (I continued on as a pescatarian). Now and then I would wake up from a dream where I was indulging in an amazing turkey sandwich. I would have flashbacks to being in Burlington, VT eating at the Red Onion, with their immensely enjoyable turkey sandwiches...and that bread! And sometimes when I was hungry I knew the only thing that would satisfy my grumbling stomach was a good ol' turkey sandwich.

Therefore, a few weeks ago I got back on the meat-eating wagon. I still have rules and regulations regarding meat consumption, of course. I really only stick to turkey, I'm not interested in much else. I also attempt to only buy non-hormone, free-range products so that I know these animals were taken care of and respected during their turkey lives. Also, Tony is really happy as this opens up our meals to so many new possibilities!

It being fall and all I have really been wanting to make a more grown-up grilled cheese with some turkey and apple. I wouldn't rest until it was made and I convinced Tony to let me do this the other night. And those sandwiches did not disappoint! I picked up a freshly baked loaf from Whole Foods and loaded it up with some Cabot Cheddar, Maple-Honey Turkey and some McIntosh apple slices, grilled it up and it was everything I hoped it would be! Gooey and crispy in all the right parts, I couldn't believe that we were getting to enjoy such a wonderful treat.

And on a sweets note...I'm getting ready for this weekend: more applesauce to go into apple cake and so many different pumpkin indulgences! And experimenting with frosting and whipped cream! It's Halloween and while this is definitely not a holiday that I usually embrace I'm so excited about the totally valid excuse of treats galore!

1 comment: